A large number of UBC units that host their own events use a variety of event management tools such as EventBrite, Wordpress plugins, AudienceView, ePly, etc. These solutions can be vendor-based subscriptions, or built in-house, and assist with the tasks associated with hosting an event, such as collecting registration information, tracking RSVPs, accepting payment, and issuing tickets. Across UBC, there are a large number of separate subscriptions with different external providers.
The purpose of this initiative is to analyze and understand the scope, varying needs, and investment required to run and support an event management tool service for UBC. This initiative will facilitate data gathering, and analysis of possible options. It will also present recommendations at the end of the analysis project on the approach moving forward.
The overall goal of this initiative is to build and maintain strong relationships with UBC’s constituents through events. In order to achieve this, UBC needs to create an exceptional experience from the moment a person is exposed to an event through to post-event. This cycle needs to repeat so that continuous engagement with the university can be fostered. In order to succeed, UBC requires the technologies and support systems to enable seamless events promotion and events management.
- Better understand the functional requirements and use cases for event tools on campus
- Compare possible solutions with the existing event tools and propose recommendations
- Develop a business case for approval from UBC executives, including an overview of demand, and change and impact analysis
- Formalize the plan for implementing any new tools
April / May 2018
- Requirements gathering
- Determine UBC security requirements
- Solution Analysis
June / July 2018
- Business case documentation
- Architectural review
- Sponsor review
Diana Yoon, Project Manager
Liza Jose, Associate Director, Digital Experience
In March and April 2018, a survey was conducted regarding Event Management Tools on campus. The survey covered the following topics:
- Current event management tools used
- Satisfaction with current tools
- Feature requirements for a new tool
- Support needs
- Current expense on event tools
View a summary of the results (PPT, 1.93 MB).