MATLAB is a language for technical computing that combines numeric computation, advanced graphics and visualization, and a high-level programming language. MATLAB is the natural environment for analysis, algorithm prototyping, and application development.
UBC IT has a license agreement with Mathworks that covers all faculty, staff and researchers at UBC. Licenses provided under this agreement are network licenses, which means that in order for the application to run the computer or workstation must have a network connection. If you have a need for individual workstation licenses, they can be obtained by requesting them from UBC IT software licensing. MATLAB is compatible with LINUX, MAC, and Windows operating systems.
MATLAB for Students
Active students are eligible for MATLAB for Students.
UBC's current version is MATLAB Release 2017b. Our license also provides the following Toolboxes for general use in our base license:
- Aerospace Blockset
- Aerospace Toolbox
- Communications System Toolbox
- Computer Vision System Toolbox
- Database Toolbox
- Econometrics Toolbox
- Embedded Coder
- Financial Toolbox
- Fixed-Point Designer
- Fuzzy Logic Toolbox
- Gauges Blockset (Discontinued)
- Global Optimization Toolbox
- Image Acquisition Toolbox
- LTE System Toolbox
- MATLAB Coder
- MATLAB Compiler
- MATLAB Compiler SDK
- Mapping Toolbox
- Model Predictive Control Toolbox
- Neural Network Toolbox
- OPC Toolbox
- Partial Differential Equation Toolbox
- Phased Array System Toolbox
- RF Toolbox
- Robotics System Toolbox
- Robust Control Toolbox
- Simscape Power Systems
- Simulink 3D Animation
- Simulink Coder
- Simulink Desktop Real-Time
- Simulink Real-Time
- Spreadsheet Link
- System Identification Toolbox
- Wavelet Toolbox
Note: Matlab R2016a no longer supports 32-bit systems. For detailed systems requirements please visit the Mathworks website.
Costs & Ordering Information for Active Faculty, Staff and Researchers
Matlab is licensed centrally and is available at no charge to all faculty, staff, researchers and graduate students* for non-commercial Teaching and Research purposes related to UBC.
For information on this program, please visit the Mathworks website.
How to obtain the latest version of MATLAB
To download the software, please have your IT administrator contact the UBC IT Accounts department for access to the share folders. DVD's are not available for purchase. The download is approximately 4 GB and takes about 20 minutes using a campus network connection. Downloads from off-campus can take several hours depending on the speed of your network connection.
Matlab is installed as a network installation which connects to the UBC license server. If you require a standalone license for offline work, please contact UBC IT software licensing. Installation instructions are available in this knowledgebase article.
More detailed descriptions of the various toolboxes for Matlab are available here and include many demos, example code, and documentation.
The following is an alert from Mathworks:
To prevent impact from these bugs, R14SP3 code generation software users should take the following actions:
Review Related Bug Reports with Potential Workarounds
You can find the documented issues and potential workarounds through the following links (login required - free sign up):
Bug Report 398525 - On Windows, Matlab splash screen flashes but Matlab does not start up and no error is given
Bug Report 275411
Bug Report 283331
Bug Report 284002
Bug Report 291423
Bug Report 291978
Compare Simulation and Code Generation Results
You can identify existing incorrect code issues by comparing simulation results with code generation results. The solution linked here on the Technical Support Website provides options to accomplish this.
Costs & Ordering Information for Active Students
How to obtain the latest version of MATLAB for active UBC students:
Matlab is licensed centrally and is available at no cost to all active and registered students for non-commercial Teaching, Learning and Research purposes related to UBC.
The following links will assist in the setup and download of MATLAB for Students:
- MATLAB For Students: Registering New MathWorks User
- MATLAB For Students: Using an Existing MathWorks Account
- MATLAB For Students: How do I install or activate MATLAB for Students?
Troubleshooting and FAQs:
- MATLAB for Students: "Error: Profile Created, but unable to associate the license..."
- MATLAB for Students: "Error: Your MathWorks Account e-mail address is not authorized..."
- MATLAB for Students: Error: "You have entered an invalid File Installation Key..."
- MATLAB for Students: "My UBC l icense disappeared from my MathWorks a count..."
- MATLAB for Students: "A MathWorks Account already exists with that email address..."
- MATLAB for Students: "The v erification from MathWorks is Not Showing up in my email..."
- MATLAB for Students: "The UBC MATLAB license does not show up on Connect..."