Visitors to the campus who are not guests of UBC faculty or staff can use our visitor network for light web browsing at no charge.
- The 'ubcvisitor' network allows visitors to connect to the internet for light web browsing.
- The system is built using the wireless Ethernet standard Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11b/g/n, 802.11a/n and in some areas, ac.
Who Can Use This?
- The wireless service is for all visitors to campus. No login is required.
- UBC students, faculty, and staff should use the ubcsecure wireless network.
- Visitors from other educational institutions which support eduroam, should use the eduroam service.
- A Wi-Fi-capable laptop or mobile device.
- Bandwidth is limited
- You may not be able to access some UBC resources (e.g. Library, FMIS, HR Portal, WebCT Vista); use ubcsecure to access UBC resources
- Access is restricted to a limited set of network protocols including:
- Web (HTTP, HTTPS)
- Email (POPS, IMAPS, SMTPS)
- VPN (PPTP, L2TP, IPSec)
- Select the "ubcvisitor" wireless network on your wireless device.
- Open up a web browser, and you will be directed to the login page.
- UBC IT provides visitor wireless internet access "as-is", "where is", and "as available". No support is provided for this service.
- Service outages and maintenance will be posted on the UBC IT Bulletins site.