Software Licensing Bulletins
- April 21, 2015: Please note that SPSS software will not expire on April 31st, despite software warnings. The software will expire on May 31st as usual.
UBC IT is able to provide a variety of software programs at a discounted rate for the University community by leveraging large volume purchases. Statistical products, Microsoft software, and UBC administrative system software are available through IT, with the advantage of lower prices and a convenient installation process.
For more information or to purchase software for use at the Vancouver campus, please contact UBC IT Software Licensing. For staff and faculty from the UBC Okanagan campus, please contact the UBC Okanagan IT Services Helpdesk.
Please note: eligibility for some products may be restricted based on your affiliation with the university (e.g. student, staff, or faculty). In most cases license agreements are for UBC-owned assets unless otherwise stated.
List of software available:
- Adobe Products (Staff and Faculty only)
- Includes: Acrobat and Creative Suite
- Anti-virus Products
- Includes: Sophos Anti-Virus
- Microsoft Products (Staff and Faculty only)
- Includes: Office Applications, Operating Systems, Server Options
- Mathematical and Statistical Software
- NVivo (Staff and Faculty only)
- Qualitative data analysis software
- Office 365 for Students
- Includes: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote. Students running Windows can also install Publisher and Access.
- Includes: Oracle Enterprise Edition Database
- Other software
- Microsoft Products for Students - The UBC Bookstore offers academic pricing to students for many software packages. Please contact the Bookstore for more information about their product offerings.
- Software repository location change - Due to aging software, the Saturn server was replaced by Teamshare-SLMS in June 2014.
- Connecting to Teamshare-SLMS - Details for the Teamshare-SLMS folders can be found here.
- Journal Voucher Examples - Here are two examples (example 1, example 2) of completed Journal Vouchers displaying the kind of information we may need.
- Once software has been purchased, it CANNOT be returned. Thus, compatibility between your computer and the software should be thoroughly researched before a purchase is made.
- Licensed are purchased per machine, so a single license cannot be used for multiple machines. NOTE: Depending on the software, Departments with at least ten machines in their lab may have the opportunity to purchase a Lab License.
- Most licenses are based around a yearly maintenance fee.
- Additional technical support for software can be found in the manual or the vendor's website. If you cannot find a solution to your problem, contact the UBC IT Software Licensing team.
By purchasing a software license, you are only purchasing the right to use the software. You do not own the software and cannot redistribute it to others. Some other important policies surrounding our Software Licensing Service include:
Currently, the only license that expires fiscally on March 31 is SAS. To continue using these software titles, you must renew your license on or before April 1.