The “Wireless Device Registration System” allows residential multimedia and gaming devices to be pre-registered to connect to the ubcvisitor wireless network. Once registered, these can connect to the Internet via ubcvisitor without the requirement to login. These types of devices are typically unsupported on enterprise wireless networks like ubcsecure so this service was launched to allow seamless connectivity to the UBC Wireless Network.
Sign Up Requirements
Who Can Use This?
Students in the following UBC Housing residences are permitted to use the service:
- Brock Commons - Tallwood House
- Exchange Residence
- Fraser Hall
- Gage Residence – All Buildings
- Marine Drive Residences
- Orchard Commons
- Place Vanier Residence – All Buildings
- Ponderosa Commons
- Totem Park Residence – All Buildings
What type of devices can use this service?
A number of multimedia and gaming console devices can be registered including but not limited to:
- Apple TV
- Amazon Fire TV
- Xbox 360
- Xbox One
- Playstation 3
- Playstation 4
- Nintendo Wii
- Nintendo 3DS
In order to register the device you will need to locate the wireless MAC address or wireless physical address. This address is typically located physically on the device near the serial number or can be found in the menu system (i.e system information, about menu, etc). The wireless MAC or physical address is formatted in six groups of two hexadecimal digits. The address may be formatted like aa:bb:cc:11:22:33 or aa-bb-cc-11-22-33.
- This service is restricted to the registration of multimedia (set top / smart TV) and gaming console devices that are not capable of connecting to 802.1x type wireless networks like "ubcsecure". Users are not permitted to register devices such as smart phones, laptops and desktop computers, rather these devices should be connecting to the "ubcsecure" wireless network. Registered devices not meeting the above criteria may be scrutinized and permanently removed from the service by IT staff at any time.
- Each user is only permitted to register a maximum of two devices.
- Bandwidth is limited but is capable of streaming video and online gaming.
- You may not be able to access some UBC academic resources (e.g. Library, Connect, etc); use ubcsecure from a smartphone, laptop or desktop instead.
All clients must agree to abide by the Appropriate Use Policy.
The registration portal can be accessed here
Instructions for locating MAC addresses on a few common devices can be found here.