Your use of UBC computing facilities, including CWL accounts, is subject to and expressly conditioned on
time to time by The University of British Columbia ("UBC").
By clicking "I Agree" below, you state that:
- you agree not to use UBC's computing facilities or your CWL account in any way that is illegal, or to do things that are illegal (including infringing copyright);
- you agree to abide by all of UBC's Policies and Procedures, as they may be amended and renamed from time to time, including but not limited to Policy SC14 and all other policies on responsible use and security of UBC's electronic information and systems;
- you acknowledge that you have read, understood and agree to abide by the applicable requirements set out in UBC's copyright website as they may be amended from time to time, including but not limited to:
- you acknowledge that you have read and understood the guidelines posted on UBC's copyright website, including but not limited to:
suspension of computing privileges, suspension of your CWL Account, and other applicable penalties or
application, and contact email@example.com. However, by actually using UBC's computing facilities and/or
at any time and in its sole discretion. Any changes or modifications will be effective upon posting of the
revisions to UBC's website. Your continued use of your CWL account following the posting of any such
changes or modifications will constitute your acceptance of such changes or modifications. You should
that apply to use of your CWL Account.
regard to its conflict of law provisions. You consent and submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts
located in the Province of British Columbia, Canada, in all disputes arising out of or relating to the use of
More Information about CWL
Commitment to Privacy
UBC is subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.B.C. 1996 c. 165 and operates the CWL system in accordance with all applicable laws. Every effort is made to protect your personal information. Your personal information will not be disclosed unless such action is necessary to comply with the law, to protect UBC property, or in accordance with UBC Policies or Guidelines. Personal information may be kept in cases where there is legitimate cause to suspect that illegal behaviour is taking place.
For further information on freedom of information at UBC, please contact the Access and Privacy Manager in the Office of the University Counsel by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
CWL Security Measures
UBC IT focuses on security so that the CWL service remains available to you and other visitors. For your information, the following measures are in place:
- Your CWL username and password are used to verify your identity and the associated privileges you have as a member of the UBC community. This verification takes place through a secured system managed by UBC IT.
- Minimal information about you is passed to the systems that use the CWL authentication process. The information that is passed varies based on the system making the request.
- Your personal information is kept on secured servers that are not available to the public.
- All functions of the CWL system that contain sensitive information are encrypted when transferred to your browser from the server through the secure socket layer transport protocol.
- Although UBC IT makes every effort to maintain the security of the CWL and your personal information, UBC IT cannot guarantee against, and is not responsible for, unauthorized access or fraudulent use of the CWL, including your personal account and/or your personal information.
Private information that you supply to the CWL system during the sign up process is used to verify your identity only. CWL stores the minimum amount of information necessary to confirm your identity and privileges with other systems.
The CWL sign up process requests several pieces of information to initially confirm your identity with campus identity systems. From this information, CWL only stores a system key to later re-identify you as required.
CWL permanently stores the CWL display name, an identification key per affiliation, username and password in it's own separate secure servers that are not accessible to the public. A system key is what uniquely identifies you in the identity system being referenced (e.g., the Student Information System – SIS is the identity system for students, and CWL would store the student number as the key).
Use of System Log Information
The CWL servers keep a minimum set of system logs that allow UBC IT to tune and protect the service, diagnose problems and to determine general usage patterns. UBC IT will not keep the information any longer than necessary to meet these objectives. The information UBC IT collects consists of:
- Identification of the system that requested authentication.
- The account authentication was requested for.
- The date/time stamp of the request.
- Acceptance or failure of the request.
Personal Information You Choose to Share
When you send IT Services personal information in an email message, or when filling out a web form, IT Services uses this information to respond to your request(s). IT Services may forward your email, or form, to other UBC employees who are better able to respond to your questions or comments.
Information you share with others through chat sessions, email exchanges, or bulletin board discussions can be collected and used by others. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and username. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are online. Please be aware that email is an inherently insecure form of communication and is susceptible to being intercepted by others, including the operators of an intermediate mail servers between the sender's and the recipient's email systems.
Privacy/Security Policies Outside our Domain
Once you enter a system/service with your CWL login, UBC IT has no control over the privacy and security of information you provide to others.